This One’s for the Ladies
This map was evidently given out in 1927 to residents at Ann Emery Hall, to help orient them to campus and its environs. Named for the UW’s first dean of women, Ann Emery Allinson, the building was a private residence hall for female students. Ann Emery Hall still stands at 265 Langdon, though much has changed in the last three-quarters of a century — the fashion stables are gone, for instance, and registration happens online, not in Bascom Hall. But a surprising number of the map’s highlights still exist: there’s a Chocolate Shop(pe) on State Street, Greek houses still line Langdon, and the Lake Monona sea monster is as feisty as ever.
Published in the Fall 2012 issue